Society is soooooooooooo deceitful... Hollywood has us all fooled!!! HAH!!! Now I've got them!!!
Anyway... what I mean is this...
We young women watch movies and TV shows and are so influenced by them. I can hardly watch chickflicks anymore because I get really sappy (referring to several posts ago... maybe someday I will write about it in full).
Young women today are so hungry for relationships. They want someone to love them for who they are... and rightly so. We all hunger for relationship with someone, romantic or not, because God made us that way. We were created for intimacy. True, fulfilling intimacy only comes from our relationship with Christ.
BUT... before we discover that, we young women put ourselves through so much pain... don't get me wrong, genuine learning experiences are necessary. What I mean is going from relationship to relationship to relationship to relationship, ya know? Looking for fulfillment. Looking for love. Looking for friendship.
Who can blame us? We watch so many chickflicks--that all end the same way, mind you... it's like some sort of formula they have worked out. Same movie, different setting and characters. We watch so many TV shows and listen to so much music that cries out for true relationship and longs for true intimacy, but look in all the wrong places.
Well... the chickflicks always stop at the marriage. Or the two getting together. Ususally involving some sort of fornication.
They never go beyond "I do."
We get to that point and seem to think that it's the end.
We never see the arguments about budgets, how to fold towels, or which way the toilet paper is supposed to hang on the roll.
We never see what happens when the kids come along (THANK GOD some of us can still go to our parents!!! 'Cause when that happens to me, I won't know the first thing to do!!!). We never see the late nights.
Movies are only about the feeling. They don't write the REAL stuff of relationships into the movies.
Maybe that is in part accountable for the divorce rate in our nation. Young people never really receive an education about how to handle a real-life relationship. We think it's supposed to be like what the movies tell us. We don't know how to work out problems in our marriage.
I don't know, maybe I'm ca-razy! Am I crazy? I probably sound really redundant, and I hope it makes sense, but I really care about young women and what society shows them. I want young women to discover who they are in Christ, and not what society tells them they should be.
Before I forget, I REALLY love Big Daddy Weave's new song, "What Would Life Be Like?" I'm going to try to get the new CD when it comes out.
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment