Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hebrews 10:14

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

This verse is so encouraging to me.

I am a perfectionist. I like things to be mistake-free... every thing! So even when I make mistake is everyday life, I can get awful upset. But, the God of grace is working on my heart to understand grace through faith, and not by works.

Encarta on MSN's dictionary defines perfect with this:

1. without faults: without errors, flaws, or faults
2. complete and whole: complete and lacking nothing essential
3. excellent or ideal: excellent or ideal in every way

...

The first thing we think when we say perfect is without mistakes.

However, the Greek word for perfect in Hebrews 10:14 means:

1) to make perfect, complete
a) to carry through completely, to accomplish, finish, bring to an end
2) to complete (perfect)
a) add what is yet wanting in order to render a thing full
b) to be found perfect
3) to bring to the end (goal) proposed
4) to accomplish
a) bring to a close or fulfilment by event
1) of the prophecies of the scriptures

It essentially means complete.

We, and when I say we, I'm taking to myself, are so stuck on being without fault. We can't be without fault because we're human. Praise God that He remembers we are made from dust! (Psalm 103:14) We will never be without fault until we reach heaven. With the Holy Spirit's help, though, we can continually work with Him on our lives and become more like God. (Romans 15:16)

The devil is trying to steal our abundant life in Jesus by helping us to put these unrealistic expectations on ourselves that we can never fulfill.

That word "holy" means:

1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
a) consecrate things to God
b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
a) to cleanse externally
b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

So... that's like what I mentioned earlier... to work with the Holy Spirit in becoming more like God... set apart for Him.

Whew! What a relief!!

No comments: