Friday, October 5, 2007

Isaiah 61:1-3 Devotional

Friday, October 05, 2007

by Carolyn Baker

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness (This is Jesus' job description - but we must join Him in His work.) Isaiah 61:1-3


Prayer: Who among us is worthy of serving You - who among us have the imprint of Your Hand on their lives? How is it a holy, pure and righteous God chooses to use the good, bad and ugly of this world? These are mysteries to me in so many ways and yet every day of my life I see You use the weak and dysfunctional to accomplish much of what needs to be done.

As I walk this path You have provided, I have become increasingly aware of the heart of the matter. Over and over again I watch in amazement knowing that You have just revealed Yourself through a situation or person who is far from perfect. As I watch this tapestry of circumstances unveil itself into a thing of beauty, I realize it is precisely because we have struggled, been beaten down - even persecuted that You looked into our hearts and saw love and chose to use us.

Today, Lord I pray that You would release an army of warriors to take their rightful place - an army unafraid to confront the darkness. I pray You would raise people who can look at the difficulties of their own lives and see revealed in these situations Your grace and mercy. I pray this army will mobilize into a body of believers who look beyond the circumstances of the lives they encounter and see instead the reflected Face of our King shining brightly out of what may look like darkness to a dark world but is in truth the beginning of an awakening new life being born again in Your likeness and character. I pray they would see beyond the circumstances the "sheep" are in, and come to their aid when necessary. I pray they would confront the enemy who is trying to hold them back from the freedom You have designed for them.

I pray You would grant special power to Your kids who seek after the heart of David - who even as a child risked injury to protect the flock he was entrusted with. I pray against the fear that sometimes cripples people and stop them from stepping out in faith when they are called. Over many years I have come to understand that I only prolong my own wilderness walk by closing my eyes to the need that is right in front of me.

Raise up Your people Jesus to take their rightful place. Help us all to remember that You will give us all the authority and strength we need to accomplish Your will. You are righteous and just and You will increase righteousness in each one of us if we listen and obey Your call to action. I pray Your people will understand that today is the day to confront and protect in love those You have given us to nurture - not tomorrow or when it is convenient - but today.

Faith is an action word so I pray Your kids will hear clearly the cries of the wounded and hurting all around them - and that they will step up and step out at Your call to action. I pray for our pastors and leaders to have the courage to answer the call instead of pretending not to hear it. You desire to set Your people free and You remind us that You will use whom You will use. Help us to empower our people with the tools they need to stop the flood of despair and discouragement that is permeating the world.

Give us all hearts like David who choose to take a risk. Remind us of the privilege it truly is to put ourselves in harms way to defend the weak - just as You our Savior did when You came to the earth.

May all we do bring You honor and glory!

Reflect: Are you ignoring a call to action in your life because you are concerned with your own comfort and safety? Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the true condition of your heart so you can step out in faith and reach that unsaved family member or neighbor. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you where to take your stand and when to ask Him for His strength, love and power to accomplish whatever it is He has for you to do. The more faithful you are with the little challenges, the more He will give you to do and the more impact you will have as He grows your spiritual authority.

No comments: