Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The experience of a lifetime...

"But my favorite time was after dark. In the cool I could sit in front of my tent on a canvas folding chair and observe the heavens. On moonlit nights the light was incredibly bright, light enough to read by. And when the moon set I saw a heavenly display the likes of which I didn't know existed. The sky became a dense mass of points of light. Literally thousands of stars were visible, not the paltry few hundred that the reflected city lights allow us in the northern sky. The Ju/'hoansi call the Milky Way !gu !ko!kemi, "the backbone of the sky," and the ridge of stars overhead with dozens of patches of interstellar dust does look like a vertebral column." - Richard B. Lee

Lee is an anthropologist who studied the Ju/'hoansi people of Botswana for several years.

Taking my anthropology class has been a great experience so far. I really like studying other cultures. I may not agree with everything a culture does, but at least I'm learning why (which still doesn't make some things right).

I want to see that someday... the stars, like that...

=============================

We took a field trip yesterday with the 3-5 grade girls and boys to a farm out of town. They took us on a hay ride, and we saw sheep, goats, cats, dogs, and even a mother and son donkey. It was tons o' fun!! I realized that I should have grown up on a farm. :)

No comments: