This is what the world seems to scream at us, especially women. "Follow your heart." But is this really what we should do?
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. -Proverbs 4:23
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve. -Jeremiah 17:8-9
All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart. -Proverbs 21:2
All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD. -Proverbs 16:2
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. -Proverbs 3:5-6
This last verse is especially applicable to me... I seem to want to make my own plans for my life. But I don't even know what's going to happen tomorrow. I want to fight God on His will for my life and my plans. Hate to tell myself this, but God is going to win.
See, I handle things in extremes. Black and white, no shades of grey. I see myself going down either this path or that path.
But my steps are ordered by the Lord... Psalm 37:23. God has a specific plan for my life, and it really can only be taken one day at a time. Sometimes only an hour, or only one minute... but who knows what will happen tomorrow? Matt 6:25-33 says to simply seek His kingdom. God will handle the rest.
In the meantime, though, I'm learning to guard my heart, and not follow it.
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment