First off, I think everyone should listen to African music. :) At least, that's what I'm listening to at this moment... Miriam Makeba's "Africa" and Putamayo (great label for world music) "Acoustic Africa."
Well, the new semester is upon us.
As far as music classes are concerned, I am taking: Music History: 1750 to 20th Century; Advanced Choral Conducting; Elementary General Music Procedures; and Vocal Techniques, in addition to Concert Choir and Sycamore Singers.
For International Studies, I am taking African Politics... yeah, a political science class. The teacher is African American (a first for me) and I'm pretty sure he is Muslim, but he grew up Catholic. He is really good about being objective when it comes to talking to either Islam or Christianity. Right now we're talking about the history leading up to modern Africa, Antiquity to decolonization. It's really thought-provoking... how the Western world stepped in and what not.
I think the next class I want to take for the minor is, and this is pretty brave for me... War, Religion, and Culture: Christianity and Islam. I hope they offer it this fall or next spring.
And last but not least, Advanced Expository Writing. Nuff said.
In other news, I'm giving a recital this semester... joint recital with a bassoonist. It's coming up pretty quick. Getting kind of nervous about it... but nerves are okay.
In terms of what's going on spiritually... the book study is going okay. I don't pick it up as much as I should, and I know it's something I need. I hope I can be involved in choir at church a lot more--he moved the practices on Tuesday nights to twice a month. That will really help to balance school and church, and I will probably make more of an effort to go. Last semester it seemed like everything having to do with God fell out. Not that I was backsliding, and I knew God was with me because I could still see Him working. But I got soooo wrapped up in school, and things just got so crazy... on top of that, I had this big crush on a guy, and I focused on trying to make something of that. Well, I ended up being all mixed up about God's calling on my life.... Boys and God do not mix well right now. So I'm just going to put any desires to be in a relationship up on a shelf as much as I can.
Anyway, I think that's pretty much what's going on right now.
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment