It's been a few weeks! But school's been busy.
I am officially going to work at the Center this year on Federal Work Study. I'm so excited to be there for another year. I love the kids!
This semester has been really challenging the way I think about God and the world. That statement sounds kind of scary... TRUST me, I'm not leaving the faith. As I process these things more, I'll post them up, if God allows.
I'll start with this...
We had a discussion in my World Civilization class about culture wars, and how they've been occuring since before the 1500s. In case you haven't noticed... sarcasm noted... our nation is completely divided on God and how He should fit into the American culture.
Galileo, if you'll remember, was the guy who improved the telescope, did stuff with gravity (not to Isaac Newton's extent), and really tried to advance in the idea that the earth is not in fact the center of the solar system, but the sun.
The church threatened him. Sure, they had biblical arguements, like the sun standing still over the field in one of Israel's battles. And the sun moves from east to west. So anything Galileo said about the earth not being the center of the universe is
He responded with the arguement that he is a devout man of faith. He said that reason comes from God, and that his reasonings and findings weren't matching up with what the church said. He argues (and I LOVE this one) that science only makes our understanding of God that much greater--it makes us worship Him more because of His greatness and glory that He displays in the heavens.
So... the discussion turned to today's big problems: cloning, abortion, etc. etc.
I thought about it. "Well, you know, what scientist like Galileo did was make so many improvements in the field, and we have such a greater understanding of things. But the church then opposed people like him. So why should we, the Church, stand against things like cloning?"
And the Holy Spirit said, "Because when I created the universe, I created physics and biology. Those things were set in place to help you see Me that much more. Look at the heavens! I've painted My glory in the stars! But when you take science and say, 'Look at what man can do,' that's when you step over your bounds."
Cloning is about what man can create. Physics, astronomy... all help us to see God's glory and His careful hand and intricate design. But science is becoming about what man can do. That's why it is wrong.
Stuff like that...
11 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment